Another winning evening for Ladywell !
Left to Right: Jade, Sinaid (Asst.Team Manager), Alice, Quynh, Shirley (Team Manager).
At the Lewisham Sport Awards for achievements in 2010, hosted by the Mayor Sir Steve Bullock, the Club received numerous awards. Below is a list of the awards and their recipients. Club Manager Shirley Callaghan was delighted that yet again, the achievements of the children at the Club, and the Club as an institution have received such important and sustained recognition. She feels this is testament to the incredibly hard work invested throughout the year by these young athletes and their coaches as well as the other permanent staff and all our brilliant volunteers.
The awards were presented on the night to by the ever popular World and Commonwealth Champion in the triple jump, Phillips Idowu. The Young Mayor of Lewisham, Kieza Silveira De Sousa - also gave an inspirational speech which, although aimed primarily at the young people in the audience, contained a message everyone could benefit from.
- The Club was awarded runner-up in the Club of the Year category - an amazing achievement considering we actually won this award last year! In the photo above Club Coaches' Sinaid and Shirley accept the award.
The following awards were also granted to Club Coaches' and gymnasts':-
- Shirley Callaghan - Runner Up in the Coach of the Year category for the second year in succession - Shirley also won this award in 2004 - all richly deserved for the many years of dedication and care Shirley has given to the Club and the children of Lewisham who have been coached by Shirley down the years..
- Bryony Gill - Third Place in the Sportswoman of the Year category. This is a very satisfying award for Bryony as it is gained in what will probably be her last year as a competitive gymnast as she heads off to university. Bryony has been competing and representing the Club with considerable success for the past thirteen years.
- Ella Ross-Jessop - Third Place in the Female Rising Star category. For Ella to win this award at such a young age (8 years) is an indication of her undoubted talent and potential. The two girls who finished ahead of her were a double gold medal winner at the London Youth Games and a member of the current British Diving Team. Unfortunately, Ella was ill on the evening of the awards and was unable to accept her award.
- The London Youth Games Women's Floor & Vault Team for Lewisham were awarded medals in recognition of their achievement in finishing second in last summers event. The recipients were:
Chloe Shoults, Antonia Paterson, Jade Hayward, Alice Davidson, Quynh Trinh, Li Vi.
- Quynh Trinh was awarded a medal in recognition of winning the Gold Medal for the Floor discipline at the London Youth Games. Incredibly, Quynh has won the Gold Medal on this discipline for the past four years.
A huge WELL DONE to everyone who received an award - and to all those at the Club who, through your efforts, helped us achieve them..